Sunday, June 29, 2008

#42: Transparencies

We've been "talking" about transparencies on GW a lot recently and I've been asked about a type I described as a little "cloudy." The type I mean is for highly detailed copies and therefore it has a special coating to help the copier toner adhere better to the transparency. I'm not sure if "cloudy" is the correct term to use. The coating results in a very slight rough feel and perhaps just a touch of dullness, as opposed to a super shiny/slick surface. I kind of like this type, as my inked up stamp is less likely to slide because there's a faint texture from the coating. But that's definitely a personal preference.

Some types of transparencies also have a white strip running the length of them. It's called a "sensing strip" and is there so that certain types of copiers can recognize a clear sheet coming through and can sort of grab onto it. The strip removes cleanly, without residue. Sometimes I pull the strip off and other times I leave it on, incorporating it into my card design.

This is a card I made for the DH. It isn't a great image because I scanned it, but trying to get a photo of a transparency is waaaaay beyond my limited photography skills. The deer is a sticker Mike had admired and looks much better than anything I could color; the zig-zag design is a gold metallic sticker over the sensing strip.

FRONT:

INSIDE/OPEN:


I am absolutely not any kind of an expert on using transparencies in card making-- I know more about using transparencies from the days of overhead projectors and pre-PowerPoint. Now that's showing my age, isn't it??!

No comments: