Wednesday, January 16, 2008

#29: Organizational Efficiency

I love to heat emboss stamped images, but found I did it infrequently because I was too lazy to haul all the equipment out and put it back for each project. Whenever I have a vexing question about how to work through a crafting issue, I turned to the delightfully generous and helpful ladies of Gingerwood, who supply endless hints, tips, tricks, encouragement, photos and how-to-do-it detail! As a result, I now have a wonderful custom-made heat-gun holder, courtesy of my DH. It has a very small footprint, allowing me to leave my embossing equipment right at hand, ready to be used and to allow safe cooling, as well.

My husband was impressed by the thoughtfulness of the ideas offered and really happy with the safety factor associated with the holder, something that has always bothered him-- the biggest concern was that one (or both) of the "craft cats" would be in the middle of the project area offering personalized artistic direction and set the place on fire.
So I showed him all the photos, hints, recommendations and suggestions from fellow GWs, and he made me this:



Perfect!
Many thanks to becky with a little "b" (for the detailed photos of the overall design), Greta in NY (wonderful suggestion to add a heat-proof ceramic tile), Mrs. C. (the idea to add cup hooks to help control cords), Sue Nelson (for putting the thought in my head that the DH could make it for a few dollars, rather than have me buy it) and a number of others who offered their help. I've done more embossing in the past week than I have in the past year!

8 comments:

Trish D said...

Wow, what a great idea! I may just have to have hubby make one for me now!

Anonymous said...

That is very nice. A couple of questions. Is the tile just the regular tiles like you find at Home Depot or Lowe's around 4 or 5" square? Also, I am assuming that the gun stays in the holder all the time and you place the piece to be embossed on the tile...or do you take it out of the holder to emboss? If it stays in the holder, how far is is from the tile. Thanks. Your hubby sounds like a keeper!

Mary O.K. said...

Thank you for your kind comments. Hope I can adequately answer your questions:

Yes, the tile is just a 4¼" square ceramic tile from Lowe's. The dark green color was just one we had around-- not chosen for any special reason. Before we added it, the wood smelled "hot," so it was a nice touch.

The distance from the metal tip of the heat gun and the tile is about 4½" or so. For small pieces, I will briefly turn the gun on and warm the tile, then place the piece on the tile, leaving the gun in the holder to emboss- no burned fingers.

For larger pieces, I can still leave the gun in the holder and just move it around under the tip-- the holder is like having an extra hand!

I haven't really had anything so large that I've had to remove the gun from the holder to do the job, but it's easily done. It slips in and out of the wooden holder without binding in any way.

If you'd like more information, photos, approximate measurements, etc., please feel free to post again or contact me at my e-mail address. I'd be happy to help!

Kim Carney said...

I could use/make one of those, I have destroyed the tops of many surfaces in my studio ;0

Anonymous said...

I would love more information. including measurement etc. could you email that information to cropfanatic71@gmail.com. thanks you

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

You make beautiful cards! What a fabulous embossing gun idea...have to ask my DH for one! BTW I adore your Calico, I had three throughout childhood...my last was named Tortellini - people used to laugh and ask if my other cat was named Lasagna! :)

Craftymaw said...

Would you please email me the actual dimensions of this item. Thanks so much, Craftymaw

Craftymaw8@excite.com

Jeanette Sharp said...

Ladies, see http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Heat-Embossing-Tool-Holder-Collapsable-Handmade_W0QQitemZ160374999004QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25571847dc